Hamilton CapTel 840i Captioned Telephone
Hearing on the phone may be a source of frustration for you or someone you care about – but it doesn't have to be. Backed by nearly a decade of proven captioned telephone technology, Hamilton CapTel is dedicated to making phone conversations simple and accessible for individuals with hearing loss.
The Hamilton CapTel Phone is the most advanced "captioned telephone" available today. Packed with useful calling features, the CapTel Phone is as easy to use as a traditional telephone. Of course the difference is that you can read every word a caller says throughout your phone conversation. The CapTel Phone requires both a single analog or digital phone line (DSL with filter, cable phone, VOIP, etc.) and a high-speed Internet connection via ethernet or WiFi.
What is Captioned Telephone (CapTel)?
Captioned Telephone (or CapTel) is a telephone technology that allows people to receive word-for-word captions of their telephone conversations. It is similar in concept to Captioned Television, where spoken words appear as written text for viewers to read. The CapTel phone looks and works like any traditional phone, with callers talking and listening to each other, but with one very significant difference: Captions are provided live for every phone call. The captions are displayed on the phone's built-in screen so the user can read the words while listening to the voice of the other party. So if the CapTel phone user has difficulty hearing what the caller says, he or she can easily read the captions for clarification.
How does CapTel Work?
The CapTel user dials the number of the person they wish to call on the CapTel phone. By clicking on the Captions Button to activate captions, the call is transparently connected to a captioning service that provides the captioning. At the CapTel service center, a specially trained operator uses the latest in voice-recognition technology to transcribe whatever is being said by the other party. The voice recognition system generates the operator's voice into captions, which are bundled with the speaking party's actual voice and sent directly to the CapTel phone. When the CapTel phone receives this combined information, the voice and captions are split so that the voice goes to the earpiece of the phone and the captions go to the display screen.
NOTE: Third-party charges may apply: the Hamilton CapTel phone requires telephone service and high-speed Internet access. Wi-Fi capable. FEDERAL LAW PROHIBITS ANYONE BUT REGISTERED USERS WITH HEARING LOSS FROM USING INTERNET PROTOCOL (IP) CAPTIONED TELEPHONES WITH THE CAPTIONS TURNED ON. IP Captioned Telephone Service may use a live operator. The operator generates captions of what the other party to the call says. These captions are then sent to your phone. There is a cost for each minute of captions generated, paid from a federally administered fund. To learn more, visit www.fcc.gov. Third-party trademarks mentioned are the property of their respective owners. Copyright ©2020 Hamilton Relay. Hamilton is a registered trademark of Nedelco, Inc. d/b/a/ Hamilton Telecommunications. CapTel is a registered trademark of Ultratec, Inc.
Available for sale only in the U.S.
- Size: 9 x 6.5 x 7.5 inches
- Weight: 2 pounds 10 ounces
- AC Adapter: 6 VDC, 1670 mA (barrel is negative), Adapter is UL/CSA listed.
- Large Keys: 0.75 x 0.7 inches
- Display: Backlit, graphical LCD color display, 320 x 240 pixels
- Function Buttons
- 3 Programmable Speed Dial
- 1 Customer Service Speed Dial
- Redial, Flash, Mute, Tone, Caption, Volume, Up/Down/Yes/No
- Caller ID capable
- Captions on: 0 to 40 dB gain
- Captions off: 0 to 18 dB gain
- Ringer: off, low, medium, high (0-87 dB at 1 meter)
- Indicator Lights: Mute, Volume Levels (1 through 12), Captions On/Off
- Handset: HAC (Hearing Aid Compatible), K-style
- Phone Book (97 entries)
- Speed Dial (3 entries)
- Redial (Last 10 dialed numbers)
- Telephone line: requires RJ11 connection (can be standard analog line, VOIP, DSL, FIOS. Does not support digital PBX system unless analog port available).
- 3.5 mm Neckloop/Headset
- 2.5 mm Headset with microphone
- AC power
- FCC approved
- FCC registration number: US D8KMM06BCAPTEL800
- REN: 0.6B
- Conversation Memory: Approximately 480 lines of text