Communication Security Wire, 18AWG, 6C, Direct Burial, Shielded with Drain, 1,000'
Direct Burial – Linear Low-Density Polyethylene (LLDPE) Cable
- Description: 6C/18 AWG BC STRANDED SHIELDED DIRECT BURIAL, WBT, LLDPE JKT – BLACK – 1000 FT SPOOL
- Applications: Security, Speaker, Audio, Alarm, HVAC, Access Control, Card Access, Irrigation Control, CCTV Power and Commercial Applications.
- Available in spools of: 1,000 Ft.
SCP Direct Burial Cables are tough and durable for all outdoor installations.
Is that Cable Really for Direct Burial?
It is becoming a more common occurrence to see competitor brands promoting their indoor rated PVC cables as also direct burial cables. Don't be fooled. Smart installers know that only cables that are specifically manufactured for direct burial applications should be used on those installations. In-wall rated cables do not have the necessary internal construction for direct burial and many outdoor applications. The primary purpose of these cables is for indoor use, not direct burial.
Some PVC jacket cables can be used for direct burial applications with conduit, as a secondary use. However, PVC jacket cables have severe shortcomings that you should be aware of before installing them for any direct burial applications.
SCP highly recommends the use of cables manufactured specifically for direct burial applications. SCP typically uses a specific direct burial cable jacket such as LLDPE, and internal construction components specifically for our direct burial applications. LLDPE stands for Linear Low-Density Polyethylene. LLDPE is superior to PVC in durability, water permeability, and other environmental factors.
Advantages of LLDPE over PVC:
- LLDPE has resistance to a wider range of chemicals as compared to PVC.
- LLDPE is immune from biological attack by microorganisms. Microorganisms could attack PVC and use the plasticizer as a source of food.
- LLDPE is resistant to burrowing animals, PVC is not.
- LLDPE has a lower permeability to methane than PVC.
- LLDPE has a lower moisture vapor transmission rate than PVC.
- LLDPE retains its physical properties due to long-term soil burial. PVC's physical properties diminish in time due to loss of plasticizer.
- LLDPE is more resistant to ultra-violet light than PVC.
- LLDPE remains flexible at temperatures well below freezing at -25°C. PVC loses its flexibility and becomes brittle at -25°C
- Part Number: 18/6SH-DB
- Marking: STRUCTURED CABLE PRODUCTS ——— P/N 18/6SH-DB ——— 6 COND 18 AWG STRANDED SHIELDED PE JKT CMX OUTDOOR / DIRECT BURIAL —— CE EU RoHS EC ZONE/DEVICE A B C D E 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 XXXXFT
- Standards: UL 444; NEC Article 760 & NEC Article 725; CE, EU, RoHS, EC
- Material: Stranded Bare Copper
- Size: 18AWG X 6C
- Construction: 16/0.254 ±0.004mm
- Material: PVC
- Min. Thickness: 0.24mm
- Avg. Thickness: 0.27mm
- Diameter: 1.70 ±0.05mm
- Colors: Black & Red & White & Green & Blue & Brown
- Core Wrap: PE Tape
- Drain Wire: 7/0.20 ±0.004mm
- Shield: AL Foil
- Filler: Waterproof
- Material: LLDPE
- Min. Thickness: 0.54mm
- Avg. Thickness: 0.60mm
- Diameter: 7.20 ±0.10mm
- Color: Black
Electrical & Physical Characteristics
- Conductor Resistance (18AWG): Max 22.8 ohm/km at 20°C
- Dielectric Strength: Min AC1.5KV
- Rated Voltage: Max 300 Volts at 75°C
- AC Leakage Current Through Overall Jacket: AC 1500V ≦ 10mA
- Cold Bend Test: -20°C at 4 hours – No Cracking
- Tensile Strength: 13.8Mpa
- Elongation: 150 percent
- Tensile Strength: 11.7Mpa (100°C 168h)
- Elongation: 80 percent (100°C 168h)
- Tensile Strength: 10.8Mpa
- Elongation: 300 percent
- Tensile Strength: 9.2Mpa (100°C 168h)
- Elongation: 150 percent (100°C 168h)